- You need a 'math mind' to excel in math.
- Boys are better in math than girls.
- If you don't take math early on, you will never 'get it.'
- You're either good at math or language arts, never both.
- If you're not fast at math, you can't be good at it.
The truth is, there is no evidence that mathematics ability is related to brain power, nor that boys are any better at math than girls. Children who are good at reading and language arts have all the cognitive equipment necessary to decode algebraic equations. It is not an either-or situation.
Finally, math accuracy and performance do not depend on how quickly a problem is solved.
Anyone who wants to learn math can. It is never too early or late to overcome difficulties with math and the anxieties that surround it.